Hello readers! Over the holidays, I made peppermint bark and will post it under “Holiday Recipes”. I asked many people and googled the best way to melt the chocolate. Some say use the microwave, which I try to avoid at all costs, and the other option was to use a double boiler.
Problem: I do not own a double boiler.
Solution? Make your own.
I used a 5 quart medium saucepan and a glass Pyrex bowl and it worked wonderfully.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Fill a 3 or 5 quart pot with just enough water so that when it boils it does not touch the Pyrex bowl.
2. Place bowl over the pot so that it fits perfectly on top.
3. Bring water to a boil, and then reduce heat to a medium or medium-low setting.
4. Place chocolate in Pyrex bowl and use a heat-resistant spatula to mix the chocolate until it melts completely.
Note: Do not leave the chocolate unattended because it will burn if it is left without being constantly stirred
5. Once chocolate is melted, remove the double boiler and use in desired recipe or as dipping chocolate (fondue)